I was looking at what hardware and software requirements Microsoft had to say for FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint.
There are a few things to note:
Minimum – 4GB RAM
Recommended – 16GB RAM
Minimum – 4 CPU cores, 2.0GHz CPU
Recommended – 8 CPU cores, 2.0GHz CPU
Minimum – 50GB disk
Recommended – 1TB disk
1. Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64. All regular Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter versions are supported.
2. Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
Some additional points:
- The server must be fully updated with the Service Pack and updates and restarted before you install FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint.
- Do not install FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint on a server that runs a Domain Controller.
- Use the server for FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint only. Do not install FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint on the same server as SharePoint Server 2010.
- Make sure that the FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint server name is not more than 15 characters long.
- .NET Framework version 4 is not supported. Only .NET Framework version 3.5 SP1.
- Ensure that the user who runs the installer is a member of the Administrators group.
- Do not run FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint as a local administrator or a domain administrator.
- Plan to install Windows updates after a controlled shutdown of FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint.
- Exclude the FASTSearch folder from anti-virus scanning to prevent the anti-virus software from falsely identifying FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint data files as malware.
- If you are using a proxy server and wanting to use FAST across multiple SharePoint farms, there are additional steps you need to perform.
- If your anti-virus software allows it, it is recommend that you exclude the following FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint processes from scanning:
Read more here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff381239.aspx